Skip to main content

Week 2 Story

The rich man and the robber

Once upon a time a very rich man lived isolated in the mountains where he spent his time hiking to the peak of the mountain every afternoon to watch the sunset. After the sun sets he then proceeds to go home and stay there until the next sunset. while the rich man lives on top of the mountain a couple of poor people lived down on the base. The two poor people heard about the old man and decided they were fed up with the lifestyle they were living and decided that they deserved a break. The couple planned to rob the old man on his way back from watching the sunset. On their way up the mountain, they noticed the old man was moving at a very slow pace when he was walking down. They decided to hide behind a tree to attempt to surprise him so that he would not expect the robbery. The tree had many fallen branches and sticks laying all around it, and it was sitting at the edge of the mountainside near the end of the path the old man was walking. A stick suddenly snapped, and the robbers, thinking it was the old man, looked past the tree to see if it was him. Surprised, the robbers saw no one. from the other side of the tree, a voice suddenly said, "boo". This scared one of the robbers so bad that he jumped up, lost his footing and started falling down the side of the mountain. Trying to save himself, he grabbed his partner, only to bring her down the side of the mountain with him. The old man continued to live out his life in wisdom and peace.

Authors Note
The original story replaces the old man with a reincarnated monkey who instead of looking at the sunset picked fruit from the tree. Instead of Robbers, there were crocodiles who planned on eating the monkey.


Bibliography: The Crocodile in the River by Vanarinda Jatakas https://sites.google.com/view/jatakas/crocodile?authuser=0

Comments

  1. Carver,

    I like how you made the story your own! I actually did this exact same story inspiration but our stories were so different from each other! It was nice how you made the "evil"/ protagonist people die due to their own poor choices. I also liked how the old man was fine and nothing happened to him. Overall, I really enjoyed your story and what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carver! Your story was short and sweet, making it easy to read through the story. Some of your sentences ran on a bit which was somewhat confusing to read, but overall it made sense. I thought your twist on the original story was pretty interesting, and brought to mind themes of class struggle. Were the poor people wrong to try to find a better life for themselves? Was the old man right for hoarding his wealth away at the top of the mountain while people starved below him?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Carver's life

Hi, I'm Carver Ramey and I am currently a junior here at OU. My major is Finance and I would say the coolest part of my major is I got to go study abroad last summer and take a finance and accounting class. The best class I took last semester would be Philosophy because I was able to work ahead and complete the course two weeks before it was due. After I graduate from OU I want to go to work somewhere in the real estate field. This summer I have an internship at a commercial real estate firm in Dallas which I am very excited about. If for some reason I don't enjoy real estate I will probably try and go to law school after graduating from OU. My favorite hobby of mine is skiing. I usually go skiing once or twice a year and I have been doing that for the past 15 years whether it's with my parents or a group of friends. To make sure I keep this streak up every summer I work and save up so I can afford to go. This winter break I went to Crested Butte with a couple of my friend

Comment Wall

https://sites.google.com/d/1b8xWl5In5W_OdMSorVacbl-6AqtHuc_z/p/1mzp8mynbCnPhX2ulW1G42uxoY0U8yuoh/edit

"Favorite Place"

My favorite place to go in the world is anywhere that I can ski. Skiing has been my favorite thing to do since I was 6  years old and I try and go every year. There is no specific place on this earth that I call "My Favorite Place" but anywhere with snow that I can ski on is my favorite place.                                                                                     Photo of person skiing on snowfield